Tuesday, September 12, 2006

finding your muse....

i didn't have a chance to post anything yesterday - it was such a strange day. i resigned from my job and then listened to the chairman insult me while trying to convince me to change my mind. it has confirmed for me that these are not people that i want to work for.

but what it has bought to the front for me is 'what do i want to do with my life?'

on the surface this seems like a simple question but in reality this is one of the most difficult questions that i have encountered. when i was in school i wanted to pursue photography at university but my dad had other plans and put me on the 'straight and narrow' and so for the last eight years i have studied business and worked in the corporate world. then last year i went back to study visual communication and design and rediscovered how much i enjoy being creative.

the challenging thing for me has been to seperate that corporate mentality from creativity and just create art for the sake of creating rather than being financially driven.

i also have fear....fear that my work wont be as good as others, causing me to focus so strongly on making every piece amazing. it is taking the fun out of the process, making it difficult for me to see the process through and leaving my 'big plans' as just that, plans.

i found an inspiring post on emma laiho's blog, crayon, and i thought that i might include the final note here... "do the little things, one drawing, one page at a time, make it work for you, not the other way round. find your muse and catalysts, whatever works is not cheating. it's real work, but remember to have fun..."

so perhaps i have not answered the big question about what i want to do with my life but i am going to make a promise to myself to relax, enjoy the process and most of all, have fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger Prem said...

hahahah you quit!! well done.

well you could always think that the positive of having the 8 years of business education and the couple years of experience, could set you up pretty well with the whole having your own business concept....you work is really good, and its not like you have to stick to just photography, or just drawing etc...your like an all-rounder!!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks Prem!! a bit of encouragement is very welcome at the moment! i would love to start my own busines but its a bit too scary really. but i am going to stick with art whatever happens - and like it says "one drawing at a time"!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Prem said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Prem said...

hmmmm dosent do sleeping in...he definatly has turned into mum...yet he can still be very annoying like day....well at least PK is capable of doing uselful things unlike "the other one
" who is more a dad clone and is just a grub! =)

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home